For the fourth ‘installment’ and second season, of the MakeRoom Artist Residency we have had the great pleasure of hosting dancer, improviser performer Tyler Rai of Massachusetts for 10-days.
While primarily a dancer Tyler spent a great deal of her time at MakeRoom focusing on writing about her work. Much of her performance has been informed by a deep appreciation on her part of glaciers and their place in the more-than-human world. Additionally while at MakeRoom, she enjoyed the sun, muddy walks, outings in nature and collaborating with local Minneapolis creatives.
She was kind enough to take a pause from her work and answer the following questions. Enjoy!!
1. What does the MakeRoom Artist Residency mean to you?
It means making room for parts of my creative process to emerge. it means experimenting with the limitations and opportunities of creative work in a domestic space. it means learning how to make space for myself in my process of creating.
2. How will your time at MakeRoom allow you to investigate, explore or deepen your work?
It has given me time to investigate principles of my practice that have been developing beneath the surface of things, and give them more language and attention. It has also given me time to rest, allowing for integration and new understanding of my creative process.
3. In 10 words or less what have you learned while at MakeRoom?
Be present. Take your time. Stay true.
4. What is your favorite tool or skill in life?
I love vessels -- bowls, cups, glasses -- which there are a lot of at MakeRoom. They allow me to hold things that nourish me and share them with others. I think art can do the same thing.
5. In 3 words, what do artists/makers/creators off the world?
Healing, innovation, survival
6. Share a podcast, book or film that I should know about, something that really has you thinking.
For the Wild Podcast hosted by Ayana Young
7. What is on your bucket list?
Share as much love as I can in this lifetime. Visit a glacier. Grow my own food. Dance as much as I can.
8. Shapes, colors or words – pick your favorite.