Applications for the MakeRoom Artist Residency (2018 season) closed 12-15-17.
Thank you to all who have applied and those who helped spread the word.
We appreciate your interest in this new offering.
The MakeRoom Artist Residency = Stay in Minneapolis for 10-days, for free, get free breakfast, work on your art/do what you want.
- What = artist residency
- Where = Minneapolis, MN
- Why = because having the time and place to do what you want can be very helpful
- Who = artists, makers, designers, and dreamers can all apply (pairs can apply too)
The MakeRoom Artist Residency offers artists/makers/creators time and place - think of it as an artist's retreat - it's the opportunity to take a break and focus, to work and rest, to create and inspire ... for free.
I find joy and fulfillment when I connect with other creatives, it keeps me inspired. Offering an artist residency gives me the opportunity to foster community and cultivate a more intentional life. I am a designer, maker and artist, and am also currently a host on Airbnb. Combining these two interests to create an artist residency just makes sense.
The artist residency provides use of the common spaces in the home, a cozy private bedroom with two twin beds, work desk, chair, design books and high speed internet. The artist residency does not provide tools, materials, studio space or equipment. Children and pets are not allowed.
Who can apply? Authors and illustrators, do-ers and dreamers, photographers and models, poets and painters, designers, film makers, drawers and doodlers too. Have a creative combination we don’t know of, we'd be glad to hear about it. We love creative collaboration.
Individuals or collaborating pairs working in 2-D mediums, performance and words, who live and work outside of the Twin Cities area of Minnesota are welcome to apply for a no-cost, 10-day residency. One artist or a pair of collaborating artists will be chosen for a free, 10-day stay in February or March.
The MakeRoom Artist Residency offers free:
- a welcome dinner
- light daily breakfast
- a presentation reception in your honor
- the opportunity for an artist, or a pair of collaborators, to focus on their work, gain inspiration, dive deep, experience something new or just relax without any real goals in mind
The selected MakeRoom Artist Resident(s) agree to:
- attend the welcome dinner
- add to the MakeRoom Artist Residency archive
- attend the reception and casually present their work to a small group
Artist resident(s) will have access to the rich and varied creative culture of Minneapolis; it's museums, institutions and organizations. Many of which are completely free. Featuring: Walker Art Center, The Soap Factory, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis Art Lending Library, Art Shanty, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, MCAD gallery, High Point Center for Printmaking, Zenon Dance, the Frank Gehry designed Weisman Art Museum, Northern Clay Center, Springboard for the Arts, American Swedish Institute, American Craft Council library and headquarters, plus countless galleries (including, Soo Visual Arts Center, Rosalux Gallery, Groveland Gallery, Light Gray Art Lab, Public Functionary). As well as the famed Northeast Arts District (home to 600+ artists, the annual Art-A-Whirl festival and voted the Nation's Best Arts District, 2015).
The artist residency requires the completion of very short, no-cost, application.
Each applicant will be asked to provide:
- answers to a few short questions
- a link to their website or other on-line presence/portfolio
- three references - past residencies, professors or friends
- images of their 2-D or performance work or a 100 word writing sample
- 50 words explaining why they would like to be a MakeRoom artist resident